Story by Jennifer Ray
This week marks the beginning of a new quarter at Cal Poly and the Brock Center has many things to look forward to. However, we cannot dive into 2013 without a little reflection on all the amazing things that have already been accomplished.
Let’s take a look at 2012.
- The Brock Center started this blog in January 2012 as another way to share our stories. By the end of December 2012, we have written 41 posts, which have received 6,213 views and 21 comments.
- We produced the Spring 2012 and Summer-Fall 2012 issues of Ag Circle magazine and the Open House publication for the College of Agriculture, Food & Environment Sciences.
- In March we hosted a water forum to discuss water quality issue and regulations affecting California agriculture.
- Three of our editors graduated in June and found jobs across the country. David Jones is a Communications Coordinator for Accelerated Genetics in Wisconsin. Carrie Isaacson is an Assistant Account Executive for Broadhead Communication in Minnesota. Leslie Friend works for BASF—The Chemical Company in North Carolina. Our current editorial team began work in September.
- Our Spring Issue was honored at the Ag Media Summit in August for being the Best Magazine in the National Agricultural Communicators of Tomorrow contest. The issue also won the Excellence in Publications award.
- We published our Winter 2012 issue on November 26. We are especially proud of this issue for the quality and variety of its stories. We also increased our ad sales.
- We assigned stories for the Spring 2013 issue. We were contacted by a record-breaking number of students interested in writing for Ag Circle.
- Our Facebook and Twitter following and interaction increased dramatically throughout 2012.
- In December our director, Megan and I had lunch with Jim Hayes, the very first director of the Brock Center. He shared some great stories and gave us guidance for the future. We are inspired by his support.